Saturday, July 24, 2010

"Why Aren't You Married Yet?" (A commentary on asinine questions)

This post is dedicated to all of the people who are single, and/or who don't have children and are tired of people asking "Why?"

It is also dedicated to all of the married people who don't have children yet or who don't want to have children and are also tired of being asked "Why?"

Finally, a special dedication goes out to my friend, Malaika, who inspired me to write this. :-)

Soooo, I was on facebook the other night when I read my friend's status: Dumbest question of all time: "Why aren't you married yet"? If I knew the answer, maybe I wouldn't still be single. People stop asking this question as all you will get in return is a *blank stare*. LOL.

As someone who is 31, single, and child-less I felt the need to "Like" this status and drop a comment immediately.

I could feel her frustration because I have often been asked this question as well. It is usually asked by older people (especially family), married people, or singles who are younger than I.

I always want to reply, "None of your business" (insert an expletive between "your" and "business") but I usually say, "I haven't met the right man yet."

And this is true.

I could have married two or three wrong boyfriends years ago, but by now I may be a member of the ever growing, "I am divorced" or "I hate my spouse" clubs.

Not trying to do that.

I could have had some babies, but by now I may be a member of the "My baby daddy never pays his child support or sees his children" club.

Nope, not trying to do that either.

Soooo, here I am single and child-less.

And extremely content, may I add.

My friend Will, who's 31 and single (with 2 children) told me that 30 isn't what it used to be twenty or thirty years ago. "Thirty is really young," he said.

And I agree with him.

I am young. If 30 is the end of the road, my goodness, a lot of us are screwed.

Some of us didn't really start coming into our own until we turned 30 and boy, do we look at life a lot differently than we did five or ten years ago.

Asking someone "Why aren't you married yet?" or "Why don't you have children yet?" is like asking a Black person, "Why is your skin dark?" or asking a man, "Why do you have a penis?" The only ways to respond to these questions are with blank stares, as Malaika stated.

These questions are stupid because not all people want to get married or have children. And those that do, aren't going to do it just for the sake of changing their titles to "Mrs." or "Mommy."

Being single is not a bad thing. Nor is not having children. And the fact that one has delayed marriage or parenthood does not mean that something is wrong with that person. I am amazed that being divorced or being a baby mama or daddy is more acceptable than the alternatives. You are a complete and total idiot if you judge someone and believe this. Sorry, but you are.

BY NO MEANS, am I knocking anyone who is married or who has children and although I certainly want these things as well, I am A-OK with living my life as a single woman until I meet my lifelong mate.

I know happily married people. That is wonderful - confetti, balloons, rice, birdseed and all of that to you... hope to be just like ya one day. But I also know frustrated married people who are always fighting or who are on their way to divorce. I know complacent married people who have problems in their marriages but are too tired to fix them. I know mothers who are doing all of the work raising children while the fathers slack off. I know bratty little boys and girls who make my uterus contract every time I'm around them because they are under disciplined and overindulged. I know couples who want everyone to think they are "Mr. and Mrs. Married" but who don't talk to each other civilly or make love once they are behind closed doors.

I will pass...until the time is right, that is.

In the meantime, I am focusing on getting myself together so that I am ready when I meet my future husband. I will focus on making sure that I am coming to the table with more than just good looks or financial security. I want to make sure that I am coming with respect, integrity, strength, honesty, individuality, an ability to communicate effectively and a promise to always pray for and uplift my husband and our children. Being a Godly wife and mother is no easy task and I don't want to half-step it because I rushed into something without thinking.

I am also focusing on doing me. I am enjoying my own company, traveling and partying a bit with my friends. I like not having to cook when I don't want to, I love spending my money any way that I choose, and there is nothing better than being able to roll out and do whatever I want at a moment's notice. I want to get some things out of my system because, let's face it, when the husband and the children arrive, many of those luxuries will be on pause temporarily, if not forever.

I have heard men and women express regret over not waiting to marry or having their children. They wish that they had dated more, traveled more, and experienced more before settling down.

You have to know who are you are before you can give yourself completely to another human being.

You can't expect a husband or a child to complete your life. You will be devastated should any of those relationships change due to death, distance or separation.

As I approached the end of my twenties, I was overwhelmed with dread that I was not a wife or a mother, but I've learned that everything will happen on God's time.

I'm good with that.

So when people ask me, "Why aren't you married yet?" or "Why don't you have children yet?" I don't mind answering, "Because it's not time yet."

And if your response is, "Because I just don't want to," that is freakin' OK as well.

People should really mind their bi'ness.

:-)

Be content with where God has you,

Alonna

3 comments:

  1. I FEEL YOU LONNA , AND TOTALLY AGREE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE SAID IN THIS BLOG . I GET ASKED THIS QUESTION ALL THE TIME LIKE YOU SAID , AND WHY DON'T I HAVE ANY KIDS . CUZ I HAVEN'T FOUND THE RIGHT WOMAN YET . IS THERE A RACE 4 ME 2 GET MARRIED AND HAVE KIDS SIMPLY BECAUSE MY BROTHER IS MARRIED & HAS KIDS , OR BECAUSE YOU HAVE A FEW BASTARD CHILDREN RUNNING AROUND . NOW LIKE YOU SAID , NO DISRESPECT TO THOSE SINGLE PARENTS OUT THERE . BUT NOPE I'M NOT READY 2 HAVE KIDS WITH ANY WILLY NILLY WOMAN I SLEEP WITH . THANKS BUT NO THANKS ! THIS IS A GREAT BLOG BABY ;-) ! LOVE IT !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CAN'T WAIT 'til you get married and have kids Alonna! We'll see what your blogs say then....if anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this? I am so sorry I'm slackin. Me and Romaon were the most faithful! LOL.

    But seriously, I totally agree with this post. Being a member of a couple of those clubs, Divorced and a single parent, it is very difficult and very stressful! I applaud you for waiting, having fun, discovering yourself. While I have no regrets, because everything happens for a reason, I do find myself at times wishing my situation was different. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't duely note what the alternative could have been like. But in your 20s you really dont know who you are. You know the "potential" of who you could and want to be. Knowing what I know NOW in my mid-thirties, I would have definitely made some adjustments along the way.

    Oh and let me give you another "Dumbest question of all time!" Who in the world would divorce you? First of all, who said they divorced me? Who said they even had a choice? 2nd, I am not perfect either. Being attractive doesn't guarantee life long happiness. LOL. I tell you..

    ReplyDelete